Is the Tea really that sweet?



Ok, I’m going to be honest, I was skeptic of Tea Cake from the beginning. When he first walks into the store, I was nervous. Simply because of the fact that Janie thinks he looks familiar, and he knows her, but she doesn’t know him. Then, the way he talks is extremely flirty. My first impression was that Tea Cake is just a player. A sweet talker who goes out with many women. Given Janie’s previous romances, I thought that Tea Cake was the last thing she needed. He would have a good time, and then dump her. She would then have a third failed attempt at true love.

As we move beyond the store scene, I started to like Tea Cake more and more. I realized that Janie was happy for one of the very few times in her life. In class, someone brought up the fact that Janie is getting to experience the life of a teenage girl, a life that she was cheated out of. They would go off, have fun, and get into “trouble” (if you count fishing at night trouble).

Then, come page 103, my skepticism was back. I didn’t like how comfortable he was getting in her home. The fact that he invites himself over to her house and then just starts playing her piano as if he lives there made me uncomfortable. However, the worst part of that scene was how he combs her hair while she sleeps. He starts to play the piano and she falls asleep. When she wakes up, he is combing her hair (which oddly makes her more comfortable despite the distance of their relationship). When she asks where he got the comb, he says that he brought it and had planned to comb her hair. This made me very uncomfortable. 1) He never asked for consent, 2) I personally didn’t think their relationship had progressed this far, and 3) he continues to flirt in an uncomfortable manner. In class, we talked a lot about this scene. Are we uncomfortable because we’re in 2018, are we fine with it, or is it actually not OK? I think that we came to a mixed consensus. On the one hand, yes, it is creepy. Yet, if Janie was uncomfortable and told him to stop, we thought that he would have obeyed her. Also, in 2018, there has been a much larger discussion on consent. Whereas “back then” consent was less of an issue. I still have mixed feelings about this scene but given how comfortable the narrator and Janie are with it, I am willing to see in what way Tea Cake’s character further plays out.

After this scene, I was back to liking Tea Cake and his inclusiveness towards Janie. I again became skeptical when he took her money but appreciated when he got it back. I thought that they had a healthy relationship in the Muck but that quickly changed after he whipped her even though she didn’t do anything. This honestly reminded me of every other husband she had. I thought it was weird how we never got Janie’s feelings but instead the feelings of the narrator (who seemed to be fine with it). This completely boggled my mind until our class discussion when someone proposed that Janie was trying to be more positive and defend Tea Cake. She wanted to justify him to Pheoby. I still don’t think that whipping her was OK, but that is the way the narrator is portraying it.

Excluding this scene (once again), I liked Tea Cake. When he died, I was actually sad despite these occasional uncomfortable scenes. I felt sympathy for Janie because I think that she may have succeeded in finding her love and then she was forced to kill him. What were your thoughts?

Comments

  1. I agree with you, and have mostly had the same thoughts as you. I really liked Tea Cake with a HUGE asterisk - the narrator gives us lots of reasons to be skeptical of him, and hate him, because he abuses Janie. Yet, Janie loves him, and if Janie is our lens for how to view the story, it would seem the narrative justifies Tea Cake's wrongdoing. I wonder how this ambiguity is supposed to function, especially the domestic violence scenes, since we have seen Janie be extremely upset by domestic violence. I had a hard time not reading that scene with irony, but since Tea Cake in the end turns out to be a sympathetic character, it seems like that scene is supposed to be read with complete seriousness - it's fine that he beats her. I don't know, I'm really having a hard time reconciling what all this ambiguity about Tea Cake means. It seems unintended by the author for us to feel confused about him. Thanks for the food for thought, I may write a blog post about the domestic violence of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh yeah this is so hard because Tea Cake made me really uncomfortable in the scenes you talked about. But also like Mr. Mitchell said I felt myself falling for myself too. And by the end I sympathized with him and felt really sad. I don't know what it is, are we just supposed to accept that he's a complicated character? He's not perfect, and honestly Janie isn't either, but I think that they do truly love each other. I believe that, but I still don't know how to reconcile it... I have more questions then before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good points. I think it's hard to be comfortable with a lot of the actions of Tea Cake. And it doesn't help that we live in 2018. I'm also a little skeptical of Tea Cake myself, and while I believe a part of this novel's main point is to not focus on material value, I definitely agree with a lot of the other character's concerns on his moves on the rich widow. When he walked off with $200 I definitely didn't like him then. And even towards the happy ending of his heroic death, I still don't know how to feel about him. Personally, I think Janie's biggest supporter is Phoebe, and I'm happy that they reunited in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also having a tough time grappling with Tea Cake's character throughout the novel. I think Xanthe is right - we have to read it through Janie's perspective, since the novel is her account of her adventures. She spent many years without love, and I can imagine that existence isn't very rewarding. Also, is it really our place to judge her? In the end, it's Janie's story, so the best way to empower her might be to let her do her thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the same time, there are some parts, like when she gets whipped by tea cake for example, where Janie's perspective just isn't really present when its needed. With this lack of voice at such a moment when Janie would need empowerment most, it's weird to think about.

      Delete
  5. While Tea Cake does have some *questionable* qualities, I feel like I can confidently say that he is everyone's favorite husband of Janie. And it's odd that if Tea Cake is portrayed as such an amicable, likable character, that the narrator would include these darker aspects of his and Janie's relationship. The novel is partly about Janie's search for true love, so if she truly loves Tea Cake, then this just might be Janie/the narrator trying to look past some of the negative parts. That's my interpretation of it, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tea Cake was confusing for me too. He seemed really likable most of the time, but there were several times where he slipped into a more traditional male role, and it was a lot harder to like him. I think we as an audience are supposed to like him because he is so different from the other men in Janie's life. He generally gives her way more agency and freedom than they did, and he's also just a more fun person. However, when he didn't ask for her consent, or when he whipped her, he seemed a lot more like her other husbands, and a lot less likable. Cool post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Masked Stories

Invisible Ellison?